- Category: Blog
- Created on Tuesday, August 26 2014
- Written by Curtis L. Coy
We’ve written you previously about the new Veterans Employment Center (VEC) on eBenefits and am writing again to remind you of this wonderful new tool and encourage you to post your VEC profile and ask your Veteran friends and family members to do the same. One of the most recurring questions I get asked is simply … I want to hire Veterans … how do I find them? This is the answer.
Launched in April, the VEC is the first government-wide product that provides verified job seekers the tools to translate military skills into plain language and build a profile that can be shared instantly with public and private employers that have real job opportunities. Currently, there are over 1.5 million jobs listed on the VEC, and hundreds of employers have made commitments to fill more than 165,000 positions with Veterans, transitioning Servicemembers, Guard and Reserve members, and their families.
Here are some of the benefits you get from the VEC:
- Skills Translator: Translate military occupational codes into civilian skill equivalents for a powerful profile and learn about related civilian career paths.
- Profile & Resume Builder: Seamlessly import results fromthe skills translator into an online profile that you can download or publish to employers on the VEC. Publishing your profileon the VEC instantly connects you to thousands of employers looking to hire Veterans, transitioning Servicemembers, Guard and Reserve members, and your families.
- Veterans Job Bank (VJB):The VJB allows you to search over 1.5 million jobs in addition to all federal jobs – including positions reserved especially for Veterans.
- Employer Commitments: View a list of hundreds of employers and organizations that have made a commitment to hire or train individuals like you, and then link directly to their site to get more information.
- Other Resources: The VEC contains or links to a broad set of other informational resources designed to help you find meaningful career opportunities and take advantage of special government and partner programs.
If you have already completed your profile on the site – thank you. We are always adding more content and tools, including job-related training and other resources, so please check back often to see if there’s something new that will help you or your family members reach your career goals.
If you or a friend is an employer looking to hire Veterans, please check out the employer resources. The VEC allows employers to make public hiring commitments, post jobs, search a bank of verified job seeker profiles, and access other resources designed to help employers recruit and retain talented Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families.