Tip for Vocational and Educational Counseling Services

Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans AffairsDid you know that VA can provide free vocational and educational counseling services for transitioning Servicemembers and individuals eligible for GI Bill benefits (Montgomery, VR&E, Post-9/11, etc.)? 

Counseling can take place at a Veterans Benefits Administration Regional Office or outbased location, training facility, or military installation. After receipt of an application, a counseling appointment will be set for eligible Servicemembers and Veterans. Counseling services may include the following:

  • Interest and aptitude testing
  • Occupational exploration
  • Assistance with setting occupational goals
  • Assistance with locating an appropriate academic or training program
  • Academic or adjustment counseling during training to help overcome problems or barriers during school
  • Services to help prepare for a new career 

As you might imagine, getting advice for any or all of those can help guide you or a Veteran to your eventual employment goals.  A transitioning Servicemember is defined as a Servicemember within six months of discharge from active duty or a Veteran within one year following discharge from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions.   Servicemembers and Veterans eligible for any VA education benefit may also apply. A service connected disability is not a requirement in order to be eligible for free counseling services.

To apply for counseling benefits, transitioning Servicemembers or Veterans should fill out VA Form 28-8832, Application for Vocational Educational Counseling, or download the application at www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/28-8832.pdf.  Counseling services are provided by the VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program’s staff or by contract counselors.  For more information visit http://www.gibill.va.gov/support/counseling_services/index.html.